DIVISION OF STUDENT SERVICES
Academic Support Services
To ensure that there is space, students are encouraged to RSVP to Julie Maxfield, phone: 503/517-7722. Students who RSVP will also get a reminder email and help ensure that we have enough snacks for everyone. Topics for workshops are student-driven. If you have a suggestion for a new workshop, or if you missed one of last year's events and would like to see it repeated, please let us know! All Academic Support Workshops are held in the conference room of the Dorothy Johansen House, unless otherwise noted.
Attention House Advisers: Any (or all!) of these workshops can travel to your dorm or we can set up an alternative location just for your hall. Email Julie for more information.
NEW! Academic Decision Making: Take control of the decisions that support your success. We'll discuss strategies fro making academic choices, including: when and where to work, what to do if you get behind, how to handle academic pressure, and when to ask for help.
- Monday, March 11 from 2-3PM
- Thursday, March 28 from 4-5PM
- Wednesday, April 10 from 4-5PM
Preventing Procrastination: Explore the pros (yes, pros!) and cons of procrastinating, explore why so many students do it, and develop strategies to help you overcome destructive procrastination.
- Monday, February 25 from 4-5PM
- Tuesday, March 19 from 3-4PM (during Spring Break)
- Tuesday, April 2 from 4-5PM
- Thursday, February 28 from 4-5PM
- Wednesday, March 13 from 1-2PM
- Thursday, March 21 from 3-4PM (during Spring Break)
Time Management: Time management is more than calendars and daily schedules. Learn how knowing your style and playing to your strengths can lead to a better personal form of time management.
- Wednesday, March 6 from 11AM-noon
- Tuesday, March 26 from 4-5PM
- Monday, March 4 from 3-4PM
- Wednesday, March 6 from 4-5PM
Preparing for a Science Exam: Learn how to use your stack of old problems sets, lecture notes and textbook notes to prepare for an exam. We will discuss strategies that will be useful both before and during a science exam (and probably other exams, too!)
- Wednesday, February 20 from 3-4PM
- Wednesday, March 27 from 4-5PM
- Thursday, May 9 from 2-3PM (during Reading Week)
- Friday, May 10 from 1-2PM (during Reading Week)
Success Skills for Finals: Learn how to study effectively while staying both balanced and focused. It can be done!
- Tuesday, May 7 from 11AM-noon (during Reading Week)
- Wednesday, May 8 from 3-4PM (during Reading Week)
Past workshops have included:
- Seeing the Forest AND the Trees: Increasing Reading Comprehension in Hum 110 and Beyond
- Exponents, Dimensional Analysis, Metric System, Significant Figures
- Logarithms, Graphs, Linear Equations
- How To Use a Science Textbook 101
- Writing in Hum 110 for International Students
- Strategies for Learning a Second (or Third!) Language
- Stress Management
Future Topics Could Include: ??? Email your suggestions to Julie Maxfield.