Learn how to set up Mozilla Thunderbird with your Reed account. If you've already completed the setup procedure, you may be more interested in learning how to use Thunderbird.
- Download Thunderbird from Mozilla's website.
- Run the installer (Mac users: drag the Thunderbird icon to your Applications folder and then double-click Thunderbird from the Applications folder).
- Upon starting Thunderbird, a window will appear asking if you would like to make Thunderbird the default application for email and other uses. Make your selection (by checking or unchecking the appropriate boxes) and click Continue.
- Next, a window will appear asking if you'd like a new email address. Click Skip this and use my existing email.
- When prompted, fill out the requested information:
Your name - The name that will appear when people receive email from you
Email address - Your Reed email address (e.g., email@example.com)
Password - Your Kerberos password
- Click Continue.
- Thunderbird will attempt to find Reed's server settings. Click the Manual Config button in the lower left. For the Authentication drop-down box, select Normal Password for both the incoming and outoing servers. Then click Done.
- Now you're ready to use Thunderbird! See our instructions below if you want to configure Thunderbird to automatically search through Reed's LDAP Directory.
If you want to be able to lookup a Reed email address when composing a new message, follow these instructions:
- Go to the Thunderbird menu > Preferences
- Click the Composition icon, and then the Addressing tab.
- Check the Directory Server button, then the Edit Directories button, then Add.
- Enter the following information:
Name: Reed Directory
Base DN: ou=people,dc=reed,dc=edu
- Click OK.
- In the Directory Server drop-down box, select Reed Directory.
Now that you've completed the setup for Thunderbird, why not learn how to use it?